Wednesday 12 January 2011

Do inhibitions against my father prevent me taking over his mortgage? | Money | guardian.co.uk

Do inhibitions against my father prevent me taking over his mortgage? | Money | guardian.co.uk

Q My retired 69-year-old dad has an interest-only mortgage on our family home in Scotland, which has just ended. He doesn't have nearly enough money to pay off the balance, and due to his age he has been unsuccessful in finding a new lender to extend the mortgage. It would be easy for me to do this with a new lender given my age and income, and I am considering taking part ownership of the house so I can do this.

But my dad has several inhibitions against his name and, as I understand it, these prevent him from making changes to the ownership of any property in his name. Is there any way I can proceed without getting the inhibitions discharged, or do we have no choice but to deal with these first? QK

No comments:

Post a Comment