Thursday 7 April 2011

How do we transfer a house into joint ownership? | Money | guardian.co.uk

How do we transfer a house into joint ownership? | Money | guardian.co.uk

Q Eleven years ago my partner moved into my house, on which I'd had a mortgage since 1984. We have both lived there ever since. We have always shared the mortgage payments, improvement costs and utility bills, and have since paid off the whole mortgage, but the property has always been in my name and I hold the freehold on my own.

We entered into a civil partnership four years ago and I would like us to co-own our house, which is valued at about £600,000. How can we do this, and would we/he have to pay capital gains tax, stamp duty or anything else? My partner is also wondering about buying a flat to rent out on the strength of his co-ownership. Could he use the house to raise a mortgage for such as venture?

No comments:

Post a Comment