Monday 8 August 2011

Diary of a tenant: an unsettling encounter | Money | guardian.co.uk

Diary of a tenant: an unsettling encounter | Money | guardian.co.uk

I like to laugh, I really do, but recent events have strained my appreciation of the absurd. I'm still in the flat and today another pointless visit looms. I'm not sure why my landlord Bill bothers, as he doesn't look around and still hasn't given me notice to quit.

On arrival, he again starts to open the door without knocking, instead shouting: "You've been sent a letter, it's my property, I can come in whenever I want."

I repeat that he can't just let himself in, but reluctantly I open the door. This time he is accompanied by a glowering, thick-set man who talks over me whenever I say anything. Both try to march briskly past me, so I insist that only Bill can enter. I try not to inflame him, explaining calmly that I am alone so two men can't come in as I find this intimidating. But whatever I say just makes him angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment