Wednesday 14 December 2011

Can I pay a mortgage exit fee with money earned from a sale? | Money | guardian.co.uk

Can I pay a mortgage exit fee with money earned from a sale? | Money | guardian.co.uk

Series: Ask the experts: homebuyingPrevious | Next | Index Can I pay a mortgage exit fee with money earned from a sale?


reddit this
Virginia Wallis guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 14 December 2011 06.45 GMT Article history Q I have a five-year fixed-rate mortgage. I'm three years in and pay £1,500 a month. It will cost me £6,000 to get out of this deal. I took out a mortgage of £210,000 on a property worth £240,000 at the time of purchase, but I've recently had three valuations that give an average value of £285,000, which means the loan-to-value (LTV) is now less than 75%.

Can I use some of that profit to pay the exit fee from my current deal, plus any set-up fees on a new mortgage to exploit the improved LTV for a cheaper monthly outgoing?

Is it possible and/or practical to cover the exit costs on, say, a credit card, and negotiate a new mortgage while taking some of the profit out of the sale to cover the expenses incurred? What is the best way to go about this? RR


A I would advise against paying the exit fees with a credit card, as borrowing cash on credit in this way is extremely expensive. Also, you don't need to pay it in advance of paying off the existing mortgage, ......

No comments:

Post a Comment