Thursday 21 July 2011

What's the point in a multi-agency house sale? | Money | guardian.co.uk

What's the point in a multi-agency house sale? | Money | guardian.co.uk

I recently put my flat on the market and had three estate agents round to value it. All along I planned to choose just one to market it for me, but each gave me a quote for their commission on a sole agency and a multi-agency basis – and what a difference there was.

While the going rate for a sole agency deal seemed to be about 1.25% (a figure I was unable to get out of any agents when I floated the question on Twitter), the price of using more than one agent was a hefty 3%. On the average house price of £161,823, as recorded by the latest Land Registry figures, that is the difference between £2,023 and £4,855.

No comments:

Post a Comment