Thursday 7 July 2011

Diary of a tenant: landlord intimidation | Money | guardian.co.uk

Diary of a tenant: landlord intimidation | Money | guardian.co.uk

I haven't claimed unemployment benefits for years and years, but the experience is every bit as soul destroying as I remember. I am pronounced "work-ready" and hand in my action plan, which involves applying energetically for any and every job – I just need paid work. I have no money – and I mean no money – but can now claim a small emergency payment allowing me to buy some food.

I fill in the Local Housing Allowance form, horrified that even though I am living in the cheapest flat around my rent is slightly above the threshold and won't be paid in full. "Did you check this before you moved into your new rented home, in case you lost your job?"

No comments:

Post a Comment