Thursday 8 September 2011

Tim Henman's volley of abuse with rural rich - Telegraph

Tim Henman's volley of abuse with rural rich - Telegraph

In an attempt to eke every drop of pleasure from the dwindling summer, last weekend was a riot of weddings, house-warmings, christenings and – the ultimate indulgence of the out-of-towners – the pool party. Consequently, I found myself, as the rain abated, tip-toeing through a “neighbour’s paddock” (car park for the day) in Aston Tirrold, while my son asked, “Mummy, why is there so much poo on the floor?” “This is the countryside, darling,” I explained, wondering what on earth had produced such specimens. “The place is full of it.”

Aston Tirrold is an Oxfordshire village of thatched cottages, cob walling and traditional iron signposts at sleepy crossroads. Along with its neighbour, Aston Upthorpe, it has a population of just 600 people. I greeted my friend at the door: a new resident who has finally cut the cord of London life. She wore a Boden dress above Wellington boots. “Oh my God,” I sighed with affection, “you are such a cliché.”

By her own delighted admission, Aston Tirrold “has nothing but three churches and a 'destination gastropub’ ’’. The post office and a local butcher set up shop on Tuesday mornings in the village hall. There is a history group that meets in various homes to discuss the local past. And the village newsletter is delivered by hand to each house. Put simply, this is not a place to upset the neighbours. You simply can’t escape them.

No comments:

Post a Comment